RE: [dita] Final xml:lang proposal

From
Michael Priestley <>
Date
2006-04-04T17:43:00+00:00
ID
Thread
RE: [dita] Final xml:lang proposal
MHonArc v2.5.0b2 -->

dita message

[Date Prev]
 | [Thread Prev]
 | [Thread Next]
 | [Date Next]

--

[Date Index]
 | [Thread Index]
 | [List Home]

Subject: RE: [dita] Final xml:lang proposal

From: Michael Priestley <>

To: "Grosso, Paul" <>

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:44:49 -0400

re:
>There is no contradiction.  We've already
said that

>xml:lang inherits in the usual sense and more local

>settings take precedence over settings higher up

>(and we didn't even have to say that, since that is

>the only way xml:lang can work per the XML spec).

Existing documented behavior for metadata
in maps is that it adds to or overrides metadata in the referenced topics.
Maps are effectively closest to the deliverable, and thus are more likely
to be accurate about things like audience, platform, publisher, etc. But
xml:lang is acting in the exact opposite way, which makes sense, but I
would think is worthy of comment.  I don't know of any other standards
that involve the pushing/pulling of metadata in the way maps do and (separately)
conref do, so I'd be surprised if the xml:lang spec says something explicit
about it. 

Even if the xml:lang spec does accurately
and completely cover this behavior, I still think it's worth calling out
explicitly in our spec, since it is (deliberately) not consistent with
the behavior of other attributes. We would at least want to update the
spec to say something like "metadata in maps overrides metadata in
topics when there is a conflict, except for xml:lang, where the metadata
on the topic wins".

Michael Priestley

IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead



http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Grosso, Paul"
<> 

04/04/2006 01:31 PM

To

<>

cc

Subject

RE: [dita] Final xml:lang
proposal

While I believe we're all trying to say pretty much

the same thing, I'd like to delete the paragraph:

 In the case of a contradiction between the xml:lang

 value set on the map and the xml:lang value set on

 the topic, the setting on the topic overrides.

There is no contradiction.  We've already said that

xml:lang inherits in the usual sense and more local

settings take precedence over settings higher up

(and we didn't even have to say that, since that is

the only way xml:lang can work per the XML spec).

This gratuitous paragraph makes it sound like there

could be a "contradiction" and that we might be

suggesting some behavior for xml:lang other than

the XML-spec-defined behavior.  There can't be

(a contradiction) and we aren't (specifying some

other behavior), so we should just delete these words.

Also, I'm not sure about the wording:

 When reading XML markup that embeds scripts of different

 languages, the embedded languages ....

I don't think scripts can be in an XML document.  An

XML document consists of characters (and markup).  Besides,

the first half of the sentence talks about embedded scripts,

and the second have says embedded languages.  Also, it doesn't

seem to make sense to "When reading...when the document is

saved."

I think we mean to say:

 When an XML document contains strings of characters from

 different languages, those strings should be indicated

 via markup.

but I could be wrong.  In particular, I'm not sure if we're

trying to say that editor tools should convert any use of

the Unicode direction-switching characters into markup.

paul

>