RE: [dita] Are indexterm ranges backwards incompatible?

From
JoAnn Hackos <>
Date
2006-08-22T11:14:44+00:00
ID
Thread
RE: [dita] Are indexterm ranges backwards incompatible?
Hello Michael,

I am very enthusiastic about this proposal. I believe it 
incorporates all the issues we have been grappling with. Thank you for putting 
this together.

JoAnn

 

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, 
Inc.
710 Kipling 
Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586


 

 

From: Michael Priestley 
[mailto:] 
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 4:22 
PM
To: Dana Spradley
Cc: 

Subject: Re: [dita] Are indexterm ranges 
backwards incompatible?

After some discussion with Bruce 
Esrig, we've got a compromise proposal documented here: 
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Indexing_issue_summary?action=show 

This compromise is designed, among other 
things, to leave the range/not range decision up to the author, by allowing 
ranges to be specified on a per-topic basis as well as a per-branch basis using 
the index range attributes. 

See the 
heading "Proposal for indexing ranges", text copied here for ease of 
discussion: 

------------------ 

Index 
entries are interpreted as point references. The index contains a reference to 
the point where the index entry is declared. If an index entry occurs in a topic 
prolog, the reference is to the start of the title of the topic. 

Index ranges are structural. Most 
index range declarations refer to an entire topic or set of topics. The only 
exception is a range contained entirely within the body of a topic. 

Index range indications may occur in 
the topicmeta of a topicref at the map level. Similarly, they may occur in the 
prolog of a topic. These two locations are architecturally equivalent, so either 
indication may appear in either place, and a match will still be recognized. 

An index range start indication in 
the meta information for a topic is interpreted to indicate the start of the 
topic title. An index range end indication in the meta information for a topic 
is interpreted to indicate the end of the topic. This includes all subtrees of 
nested topics, including subtrees of the start and end topics and any 
intervening subtrees. The subtree of nested topics is included even when the 
range starts and ends in the meta information for the same topic. 

An index range may start in the body 
of a topic. Such an index range ends at a matching index range end indication 
within the same body, or at the end of the body, whichever comes first. Such an 
index range does not span sub-topics of the topic. 

------------------------- 

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and 
Classification Schema PDT 
Lead

http://dita.xml.org/blog/25 

  
  

    Dana Spradley 
      <> 
      
08/21/2006 06:01 PM 

    
      
        
        

          
            
To

           
        

          
            
cc

          
        

          
            
Subject

          Re: [dita] Are indexterm ranges 
            backwards incompatible?

      
        
        

          
          

Coming back to this issue today, I agree that a compromise is 
appropriate, given its relative triviality.

The only addition I'd make to 
Paul's previously suggested implementation statement would be to put indesterm 
start/end rendering in the hands of end users as well (my addition 
bolded): 
"Index terms in prologs are neither ranges nor 
points. They are associated with the whole topic. DITA publishing 
implementations are encouraged to let the end-user choose whether to represent 
them as page ranges spanning an entire topic or individual pages in an index. 
Publishing implementations are also encouraged to let end 
users decide whether to render indexterm start/end pairs as page ranges, or as 
point references to the start indexterm. Another choice 
that publishing implementations may wish to provide is whether to collapse 
multiple continguous page references into a single page range." 
--Dana

Paul Prescod wrote: 

-----Original Message-----
From: Grosso, Paul 
[mailto:] 
Sent: 
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:01 AM
To: 
Subject: RE: [dita] Are indexterm ranges backwards 
incompatible?

...

Importance and ranges are orthogonal 
concepts.
    

I think that 
underlying this debate is a difference in styles by index
users. When I'm 
presented with many mentions of a particular topic,
there are three things 
that I look at:

1. is any bolded as being the "defining" instance of an 
index entry?
(hard to do in topic-oriented content!)

2. which comes 
first (also not necessarily informative in
topic-oriented content)

3. 
which is longest: likely to be a tutorial and not just a 
random
mention

So I understand Dana's point, but I don't (personally) 
think it is
crucial enough for substantial spec rewriting at this point. It 
is
totally true that if you have a Concept called "Cheese" then you 
would
want that topic to look special in the index entry for cheese. It 
is
also true that barring any special markup, making that mention into 
the
longest range is ONE way to make it stand out. Maybe we should agree 
for
DITA 1.2 to document other (more explicit) ways to make it stand 
out.

To put it another way: if a publishing tool provides the options 
I've
proposed then I would tend to advocate that they be set Dana's 
way
rather than the way others propose.

That said, I think it is 
acceptable to leave control of the issue in the
hands of the end-user rather 
than requiring it to be hard coded in the
spec. I thought that we were 
heading towards a compromise on those
terms.

Paul 
Prescod