Re: [dita] Attribute Specialization

From
Michael Priestley <>
Date
2007-01-23T20:18:45+00:00
ID
Thread
Re: [dita] Attribute Specialization
"W. Eliot Kimber" <>
wrote on 01/23/2007 02:38:38 PM:

> OK, I see now the section on attribute specialization syntax in the
DITA 

>   spec. There needs to be a cross reference from the section

> "Specialization of attributes" to the relevant discussion
under 

> "Specialization in Design".

Agreed, per previous note.

> 

> And I just want to confirm my new understanding:

> 

> - Each specialization of props or base needs to be declared it its
own 

> domain module with its own name

Yes.

> 

> - These attributes are nominally global

Yes (available on all elements).

> 

> - I can restrict the use of the attributes to specific element types
by 

> simply not allowing them except on the elements I want to allow them
on.

> 

No. The attributes are added as separate domains,
and there's no support in DITA 1.1 for dependencies between domains and
structures (like limiting the domain extensions to only some elements).
It's a goal for future releases, but the current design represents the
most we could get agreement on in the 1.1 timeframe.

I hope this clarifies.

Michael