← Prev in month ← Prev in thread

regrets, and opposition to including item 12051 as an easy 1.2 fix

From
Dana Spradley <>
Date
2007-04-05T23:23:54+00:00
ID
Thread
regrets, and opposition to including item 12051 as an easy 1.2 fix
I'm not going to be able to make the next meeting -
so in case the "simple/quick fix" list gets compiled at it, I'd like to
register my opposition to including item 12051, "Add class attribute to
dita element."

I think this qualifies as a controversial proposal - I believe both
myself and JoAnn are on record opposing it.

Instead of regularizing the dita element and allowing it to be
specialized, I'd be more in favor of deprecating it, and eventually
eliminating it.

According to the 1.1 spec, "The <dita> element has no particular
output implications; it simply allows you to create multiple topics of
different types at the same level in a single document."

As such, it needs no class attribute - since the sole function of that
attribute is to preserve output implications across specializations.

To add a class attribute to the dita element and make it available for
specialization is a major architectural change that requires careful
thought, not a simple easy fix.

--Dana
← Prev in month ← Prev in thread