Next in thread → Next in month →

FW: [dita] Groups - Draft charter for the Adoption SC (Statement of Purpose for OASIS DITA Adoption Subcommittee.doc) uploaded

From
Ogden, Jeff <>
Date
2008-04-29T15:53:11+00:00
ID
Thread
FW: [dita] Groups - Draft charter for the Adoption SC (Statement of Purpose for OASIS DITA Adoption Subcommittee.doc) uploaded
This is a reply that I sent out on this
topic about a month ago.

 

I’m still in favor of creating the
new sub-committee if there are enough volunteers to make it go. 

 

At this point I guess I’d favor
either:

(i) dropping items 9, 12,
and 13, or 

(ii) dropping item 12 and
tightening up items 9 and 13 to focus the purpose of the liaisons with other
groups on promotion and awareness activities and away from changes to the DITA Specification.

 

    -Jeff

 

From: Ogden, Jeff 

Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 5:50
PM

To: ''

Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - Draft
charter for the Adoption SC (Statement of Purpose for OASIS DITA Adoption
Subcommittee.doc) uploaded

 

An adoption sub-committee seems like a good idea to me.

 

I think the challenge might be getting enough people to
commit to being members of the sub-committee and doing the work. It seems like
there will be a lot of work. What is the minimum number of people that are
needed to do the work?  How much work are they likely to be asked to put
in on this?

 

The 14 items in the scope of work for the sub-committee
outlines a pretty ambitious agenda. Do we want to put the work items in to some
sort of priority order or would that be part of the initial work of the
sub-committee?

 

I wonder if items #9 “Establish liaisons with other organizations, government
agencies, trade groups” and #13, “Interface with other TCs to define how DITA can be used with
other standards to address specific scenarios”, are things
that the DITA TC wants to delegate to a sub-committee in such a blanket way or
if it might be better to hold this more to TC itself and delegate on a case by
case basis.

 

I agree with Bob that certification is likely to be a can of
worms that we don’t want to open. If we ever do want to work on
certification, I think that an entirely separate sub-committee dedicated to
that would be a good approach.

 

   -Jeff

 

From: Bob Doyle
[mailto:] 

Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008
2:07 PM

To: 

Cc: 

Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - Draft
charter for the Adoption SC (Statement of Purpose for OASIS DITA Adoption
Subcommittee.doc) uploaded

 

Hi JoAnn,

This draft looks very good to me.

Should the first para say

By advancing the adoption of DITA through
OASIS ?

I very much like Scope
point 2. I would like to follow up on my survey of Wikipedia pages mentioning
DITA or strongly related to DITA.

And I am happy about main point 6, to emphasize sharing and coordination with
other entities, like www.DITAUsers.org.

From experience with burned fingers at KM Pro and CM Pros, I am skeptical about
Scope point 12 - certification. Likely to be can of worms. Maybe certificates
of completion - e.g., of your Workshop, of Michael's course, of accredited
tutorials, but professional certification, I would say no.

Cheers,

Bob

On 25 Mar 2008 15:16:28 -0000, <>
wrote:

Please send comments to JoAnn Hackos

 -- Dr. JoAnn Hackos

The document named Draft charter for the Adoption SC (Statement of Purpose

for OASIS DITA Adoption Subcommittee.doc) has been submitted by Dr. JoAnn

Hackos to the OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC

document repository.

Document Description:

Describes the purpose and role of a new DITA Adoption Subcommittee

View Document Details:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/document.php?document_id=27693

Download Document:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/27693/Statement%20of%20Purpose%20for%20OASIS%20DITA%20Adoption%20Subcommittee.doc

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email
application

may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and
paste

the entire link address into the address field of your web browser.

-OASIS Open Administration

-- 

Bob Doyle

Editor In Chief, CMS Review - http://www.cmsreview.com

Founder, DITA Users - http://www.ditausers.org

Former Technology Advisor, CM Pros - http://www.cmprofessionals.org/membership/cm-profiles/bob-doyle

Contributing Editor, EContent Magazine - 

http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleIndex.aspx?ContextSubtypeID=71

President and CEO, skyBuilders - http://www.skybuilders.com

  77 Huron Avenue

  Cambridge, MA 02138

Tel: +1 617-876-5676 Skype:bobdoyle
Next in thread → Next in month →