Re: [dita] Re: Discuss list processing expectations

From
Michael Priestley <>
Date
2008-04-08T16:52:11+00:00
ID
Thread
Re: [dita] Re: Discuss list processing expectations
In what sense is that list "inline"?
It defines the start of a new block. It does so within the context of an
existing block. You can also nest lists inside other lists, or inside table
cells.

And to reiterate, I am against any best
practice that says users "should" avoid mixed content models.
I am ok, per Jeff's suggestion, with a best practice that lays out the
advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

Michael Priestley

Lead IBM DITA Architect 



http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Gershon L Joseph
\[Yahoo\]" <> 

04/08/2008 11:51 AM

To

Robert D Anderson <>,
DITA TC List <>

cc

Subject

Re: [dita] Re: Discuss list processing
expectations

This time hopefully without the Yahoo junk...

I'm still against using the same element in both block and inline contexts.
If DITA provided an <inline-ul> (or whatever) for use in the example
Paul gave I'd be OK with it. I still feel that block elements should be
used only in block contexts, and inline elements in inline contexts. Paul's
example would then be marked up as follows:

<p>In order to install Acme Pro Plus Plus, your system must

meet the following requirements:

<inline-ul>

  <li>Pentium 4 CPU or later</li>

  <li>1 GB RAM or more</li>

  <li>At least 350 MB free disk space</li>

</inline-ul>

unless you are running the Limited version of the product.

</p>

Obviously we're not going to change the DTDs for 1.2, but perhaps we could
consider an inline unordered list element for a future release, when we
can improve on the current situation where <ul> functions as both
block and inline.

For 1.2, maybe we should provide Paul's example as an exception to the
general rule, and maybe even state that a future DITA release may provide
a different inline element for this purpose?

Note also I said the spec should encourage the best practice via "should",
so users using mixed markup are not going against the spec.

Gershon

----- Original Message ----

> From: Robert D Anderson <>

> To: DITA TC List <>

> Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:18:01 PM

> Subject: RE: [dita] Re: Discuss list processing expectations

>

> I'd second what Paul says - I know a lot of users who would get upset
if

> the spec told them they could not include the samples Paul gives inside
a

> single paragraph.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS TC that

generates this mail.  You may a link to this group and all your TCs
in OASIS

at:

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/portal/my_workgroups.php