Next in thread → Next in month →

RE: [dita] DITA 1.2 packages -- documentation

From
Ogden, Jeff <>
Date
2008-04-07T15:15:59+00:00
ID
Thread
RE: [dita] DITA 1.2 packages -- documentation
For DITA 1.1 the DITA source plus PDF and chunked
HTML (Web) outputs were available. Unchunked HTML and HTML Help were not. 

 

There was also a short overview document
that I didn’t mention in the note I sent out earlier, but which I assume
will be available again. For DITA 1.2 the Overview document may be more
important since it is one place where all of the documents and packages can be listed
and described.

 

I think Don said that OASIS wants PDF
versions.

 

So for DITA 1.2 I think the minimum we’ll
want to make available is the same as was available for DITA 1.1 (source, PDF,
chunked HTML).  I see no harm in adding unchunked HTML and HTML Help, but
I don’t feel strongly about it.  I’d been thinking that each
package would contain all of its own documentation and that the combined
package would contain everything.  I hadn’t been thinking about a
separate documentation package, but that could probably be done too.

 

We are splitting things up into separate
packages in an attempt to make things simpler for individuals who aren’t
interested in all aspects of DITA.  As I was working on the outline of the
packages and we got up to six individual packages plus a combined package and
now with the possibility of an eighth documentation package, I’m starting
to worry that the packages themselves may make things more complicated then we
want.  Something to talk about on Tuesday.

 

   -Jeff

 

From: Grosso, Paul
[mailto:] 

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 10:36
AM

To: 

Subject: RE: [dita] DITA 1.2
packages -- documentation

 

Whenever a
document (e.g., Language or Architecture Specification, Reference, Guidelines
and Examples) is to be included in a Package, exactly what are we talking about
including?  

 

DITA source, HTML
File, chunked HTML (e.g., HTML Help), PDF, etc.?

 

Our should we
have a separate "Documentation Package" that contains all of the
above so that we don't have to put it in each separate package?

 

I would
personally want the source and perhaps some kind of HTML output at least, but
I'm not sure what would be the optimal solution in terms of packaging.

 

paul

 

From: Ogden,
Jeff [mailto:] 

Sent: Monday, 2008 April 07 9:17

To: 

Subject: [dita] DITA 1.2 packages

Here is some initial thinking about how we should package
the DITA 1.2 specifications, DTDs, schemas, and related files.
Next in thread → Next in month →