RE: [dita] Map structure and possible new attribute for conref push andanchorref

From
Robert D Anderson <>
Date
2009-02-04T19:32:16+00:00
ID
Thread
RE: [dita] Map structure and possible new attribute for conref push andanchorref
Hi Su-Laine,

> ... If I understand the specs correctly, the new
> attribute is also needed in order to use the keyref feature and the
> anchor/anchorref feature in all the ways they are intended to be used.

I do not think it is *needed* for those - but it could be very useful for
them. In each case you've defined a reference to a topic which you may not
want rendered locally.

For many of the keyref use cases - most of the ones I've dealt with so far
- you're defining keys for topics that are a primary part of your content.
You're just providing a simple key that can be used to reference it. For
those, you would not want to turn off local display. However, if you are
providing a key that lets you reference other content, it could certainly
be useful. Much of that can already be inferred from the scope attribute,
but that does have limitations.

For anchorref - in some cases, you will want the content to appear both
where defined and where pushed (from my understanding of the proposal, that
is considered the primary use case - so the spec describes how to get other
behaviors if needed). I feel that the local display setting could be
helpful for other use cases - but I'd need to think it through a bit more
to be sure.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit