← Prev in month ← Prev in thread

AW: [dita] RE: Hazard Statement Width

From
"Dhristian Lravogel"
Date
2009-03-24T17:29:11+00:00
ID
Thread
AW: [dita] RE: Hazard Statement Width
Paul,

 

Now it's clearinfying what happened.

 

First I also have to appologize, I should have verified 
before I answered to you in the first place.

 

You are right, I just checked the history of the 
proposal and in one of the first drafts from 2006 we have had proposed 
4 attributes controlling the layout of a hazardstatement accoridng to the Z535.4 
standard:

 

labelformat (1|2|3|other) "2" 

panelarrangement (horizontal|vertical) "horizontal" 

width NMTOKEN #IMPLIED 

align (left|right|center) "left" 

 

and if I recall correct they have been implemented as a 
preversion in the Arbortext Editor 5.3 M030 release in Summer 
2007.

 

These additional attributes got removed by the TC 
- approx. in fall 2007 - and we moved back to the base attributes 
available from the note element. So we never went to the point of 
discussing how those attributes should be used.

 

All these 4 attributes belong to the definitions in the 
ANSI Z535.4 standard, so if we are going to add them e.g. in DITA 1.3 we 
will have to provide clear guidance how to use them in creation and rendering of 
a document. 

 

For those who would like to consult the definitions in ANSI 
Z535.4 you can purchase it for 75.- $ at http://webstore.ansi.org

 

Best regards

 

Chris

 

 

 

 

SeicoDyne 
GmbH

Eichenstrasse 
16

CH-6015 
Reussbühl

Switzerland

Tel: +41 
41 534 66 97

Mob: +41 
78 790 66 97

Skype: seicodyne

 

www.seicodyne.com



 

Member of 
the DITA Technical Committee

Chairman 
of the DITA Machine Industry 
Subcommittee

 

Von: Grosso, Paul [mailto:] 

Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. März 2009 18:06
An: Christian 
Kravogel; ; dita
Betreff: [dita] RE: Hazard Statement 
Width

I do apologize for all the unnecessary 
discussion.

 

Someone told me there was a width attribute on 
hazardstatement, and I failed to verify that statement against the actual DITA 
1.2 DTDs.  It turns out the user was looking at a DTD they must have 
modified.

 

Given that there is no width attribute on hazardstatement, 
we don't need to add anything to the spec here, so we can cancel the 
decision we made today to do so.

 

paul

  

  
  From: Christian Kravogel 
  [mailto:] 
Sent: Tuesday, 2009 March 
  24 11:21
To: Grosso, Paul; ; 
  'dita'
Subject: Hazard Statement Width

  

  
Paul, 
  Don,

  
 

  
I just checked the 
  content model of hazardstatement and it's child elements, and I do not find 
  any potential error.

  
 

  
Paul, your statement "In a hazard 
  statement, you can set the width of the hazard statement using the attribute 
  width." is not correct.

  
hazardstatement 
  has been derived from the element note and there is no width 
  attribute.

  
 

  
So we can shorten 
  it and just leave everything as it is.

  
 

  
 

  
The width for a 
  hazardstatement still is an issue, an important issue, but it is just a rendering 
  issue. And we may have to provide guidance or recomendations in a 
  document.

  
 

  
 

  
If we like to be 
  very fastidious we may have to cover issues 
  like: when a hazardstatement with a hazardsymbol is placed into a table 
  and the width of the hazardsymbol is exceeding the width of the tablecell, the 
  table or even the pagewidth. But then we may need to catch all cases of 
  nested width attributes in our 
  specification.

  
 

  
Best 
  regards

  
 

  
Chris

  
 

  

  

  
 

  
SeicoDyne 
  GmbH

  
Eichenstrasse 
  16

  
CH-6015 
  Reussbühl

  
Switzerland

  
Tel: +41 
  41 534 66 97

  
Mob: +41 
  78 790 66 97

  
Skype: seicodyne

  
 

  
www.seicodyne.com

  


  
 

  

  

  

  
Member 
  of the DITA Technical Committee

  
Chairman 
  of the DITA Machine Industry 
  Subcommittee
← Prev in month ← Prev in thread