← Prev in month ← Prev in thread

FW: DocBook Customization

From
Ogden, Jeff <>
Date
2009-07-08T21:43:06+00:00
ID
Thread
FW: DocBook Customization
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dick Hamilton [mailto:]
> Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:30 PM
> To: Ogden, Jeff
> Subject: DocBook Customization
> 
> Jeff,
> 
> I'm an observer on the DITA TC, but not a member, so my
> attempt to send the attached response concerning the thread
> on DocBook Customization got bounced.
> 
> Since you were an active participant, I hope you don't mind
> if I send the response to you, instead. If you find it useful,
> feel free to post it on the list. If not, the bit-bucket is
> ok, too:).
> 
> Thanks,
> Dick Hamilton
> 
> ===============================================================
> I've been following this thread with some interest and have
> to chime in about "DocBook Customization" from the perspective
> of a longtime DocBook user.
> 
> There seems to be an implication in some messages that
> customization is part of the DocBook standard. That is not
> the case. If you change DocBook, the result is no longer
> DocBook.
> 
> That said, there is no question that people need and want
> to customize DocBook, and the DocBook TC has always realized
> this. That's why the design was done with customization in
> mind and why the spec and Definitive Guide both discuss
> customization. But, both clearly state that if you customize,
> you are not conformant.
> 
> So, I agree with Eliot and Jeff that you should dictate against
> what this thread calls "DocBook Customization," in the same way
> that DocBook dictates against "DocBook Customization." I.e., if
> you must, you're on your own and not conformant.
> 
> Dick Hamilton
> ---------------------------------
> XML Press
> XML for Technical Communicators
> http://xmlpress.net/managingwriters.html
> (970) 231-3624
> 
> 
> 
>
← Prev in month ← Prev in thread