Next in thread →
Next in month →
RE: [dita] <shortdesc> in a DITA map
I am a late-comer to this discussion so I apologize if this is coming from left field. I am a firm believer that the <shortdesc> is not strictly metadata but rather content used as metadata. In fact, the <shortdesc> may very well be the most important content in the topic on par with the title. I can see instances where the title needs to be overridden to produce parallel entries in a map where the topic is used outside of its original context but I see a real problem where the <shortdesc> is overridden. Looking forward to work we are doing in BusDocs, I envision the <shortdesc> specialized to provide highly-relevant semantic information for some of the topic types we are examining. I strongly argue for correcting the spec for 1.2 to conform with the current behavior of the OT. Let’s not further disambiguate the use of <shortdesc>. We can dream up some future metadata element to handle the Option B use case in DITA 1.3. Cheers, Rob Hanna From: Ogden, Jeff [mailto:] Sent: August 19, 2009 4:04 PM To: Kristen James Eberlein; DITA TC Subject: RE: [dita] <shortdesc> in a DITA map I think I’m going to argue that we shouldn’t try to resolve this for DITA 1.2 and leave it as something to be addressed for DITA 1.3. I guess this may be option C. Here is my thinking on this: · The DITA 1.1 spec. is ambiguous about how shortdesc in a map should be handled. · But an argument can be made that the DITA 1.1 spec. comes closest to calling for option A (link preview only). · But option A that makes shortdesc processing a special case when compared to how other metadata in a map is processed. · I think it would be better to be consistent and to treat shortdesc in the same way that we treat other metadata elements (option B). · I think this will make it easier for users to remember. · I also think it will avoid additional questions about the interaction of @lockmeta and @keyref processing with shortdesc processing. · But option B is a bigger departure from the DITA 1.1 spec. and as such, it isn’t a decision we should make in a rush or something that we should force on implementers late in the development of the DITA 1.2 spec. · And if we were to go with option B, then we’d be immediately confronted with the question of adding a new element, perhaps <linkpreview>, for the purposes of specifying link preview text in a map without overriding shortdesc in a topic. And that would likely delay finalizing work on DITA 1.2 even further. · And so deferring resolution of this to DITA 1.3 seems to be the best course of action at this time. -Jeff From: Kristen James Eberlein [mailto:] Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:23 PM To: DITA TC Subject: [dita] <shortdesc> in a DITA map The review of the DITA 1.2 architectural spec has generated some disagreement about how the content of the <shortdec> element in a DITA map is used. Everyone agrees that the content of the <shortdesc> element is used for link previews, but there is disagreement about whether or not the content of the <shortdesc> element, when used in a DITA map, overrides the content of the <shortdec> element in the DITA topic. (If you want to read the Wiki comments about this, go to http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/ditaMaps and search on <shortdesc>.) Both the DITA 1.1 architectural spec and language reference contained contradictory information about how the content of the <shortdesc> element is used (emphasis added): Architectural spec "Metadata inheritance between maps and topics" states that the content of the <shortdesc> element is "not added to the topic; applies to links created based on this occurrence in the map". http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/archspec/topicmetainheritance.html "Common DITA map attributes and metadata" states "When a set of topics is transformed using a map, duplicate topic versions can be created using the copy-to attribute. The copied topic will have a new file name or location as provided in the copy-to attribute, and the map can override the default title and shortdesc for this particular copy by providing values for them in the map using the topicref's navtitle and shortdesc." http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/archspec/dita_spec_23_common.html Language reference "shortdesc" states "When used within a DITA map, the short description of the <topicref> can be used to override the short description in the topic." http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/langref/shortdesc.html "abstract" states that the <abstract> element "can contain paragraph-level content as well as one or more shortdesc elements which can be used for providing link previews or summaries. The <abstract> element cannot be overridden by maps, but its contained <shortdesc> elements can be, for the purpose of creating link summaries or previews." http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/langref/abstract.html How do we want to handle this? Currently the DITA OT and IBM's implementation use the content of a <shortdesc>, when used in a DITA map, only for link previews. IBM has created a specialized element (<overrideShortdesc>) to enable people editing a DITA map to force content into the DITA topic. I see three possible choices: A: The content of the <shortdesc> element, when used in a DITA map, is used only for link previews. B: The content of the <shortdesc> element, when used in a DITA map, overrides the content of the <shortdesc> element in the DITA topic. C: The content of the <shortdesc> element, when used in a DITA map, may or may not override the content of the <shortdesc> element in the DITA topic; the behavior varies depending on the implementation. Thoughts? I like A, personally. Kris --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS TC that generates this mail. Follow this link to all your TCs in OASIS at: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/portal/my_workgroups.php
Next in thread →
Next in month →