RE: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries

From
Bruce Nevin (bnevin) <>
Date
2009-08-20T18:52:58+00:00
ID
Thread
RE: [dita] problem with packaging of glossaries
Rob,

 

I may be misusing the word 
package.  There is a grouping of TechDocs-specific parts of DITA in 1.2 and 
that is what I am referring to.

 

    /B

  

  
  From: Rob Hanna [mailto:] 
  
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:09 PM
To: Bruce Nevin 
  (bnevin); 'DITA TC'
Subject: RE: [dita] problem with packaging of 
  glossaries

  

  

  
Good 
  day, Bruce.

  
 

  
I 
  think I am a little confused by what is being proposed. The concept of 
  “packages” is not crystal clear to me. Why can packages not share common 
  information types? Surely I could reuse concept and glossentry definitions in 
  multiple packages.

  
 

  
Assuming 
  that we have base abstract information types in DITA 1.3, there will still be 
  a need to have glossentry topics and book maps in all packages. We may want to 
  resituate glossentry as a peer specialization to concept rather than as a 
  specialization of concept itself. I wouldn’t imagine that the glossentry topic 
  would be part of the abstract layer.

  
 

  
Unless 
  I am missing something, I would recommend that we leave the DITA 1.1 topic 
  types where they are until we have had a chance to introduce the abstract 
  layer in DITA 1.3.

  
 

  
I 
  apologize if I have misunderstood or I am taking the thread back to points 
  covered in previous conversations.

  
 

  
Cheers,

  
Rob 
  Hanna

  
 

  
 

  

  

  
From: Bruce Nevin 
  (bnevin) [mailto:] 
Sent: August 20, 2009 1:24 
  PM
To: 
Subject: [dita] problem 
  with packaging of glossaries

  
 

  

  
This 
  came up in the spec authoring meeting today. 

  

  
 

  

  
The 
  problem: <glossentry> is specialized from <concept>. <task>, 
  <concept>, and <reference> are in the TechDocs package. This 
  forces <glossentry> etc. to be restricted to the TD package.  But 
  non-TechDocs folks need glossaries, and support for them should be in the 
  base.

  

  
 

  

  
Two 
  solutions:

  
    
Accept 
    this. Present it as an unfortunate fait accompli for 1.2 -- if you want 
    a glossary, you have to use the TD package (or specialize your 
    own). 
    
Move 
    <task>, <concept>, and <reference> back into the base, 
    sans TD-specific domain specializations, and include those specializations 
    in the TD package. Present this as an interim step toward simplified topics 
    being developed by the BusDocs SC. 

  

  
Comment? 
  Action?

  

  
 

  

  
    
  /Bruce