Re: [dita] Understanding DITA vs. DITA OT

From
Don Day <>
Date
2016-06-21T20:51:02+00:00
ID
Thread
Re: [dita] Understanding DITA vs. DITA OT
During the discussion, I was thinking instead of an infographic
      explainer of "The DITA Ecosystem" showing graphically the
      juxtapositioning of:

    
      
User requirements (the reason we do this)

      
Users

      
Content

      

      
Standards bodies (both technical and advocacy)

      
User groups (local advocates as it were) and forums (remote
        advocates)

      

      
Conferences, Webinars, other formal connection opportunities

      

      
Tools (both open and commercial)

      
Vendors and Developers (the providers of those tools)

      

      
Consultants, trainers, advisors, mentors, etc.

      
Book writers and their vendors

      

    
    I've likely missed some items. A chart that makes sense of this
    ecosystem at a glance could be very useful to pass around as posters
    and include in blog posts, etc.. This would contain no detail about
    DITA itself, but rather highlight the amazing resources and how they
    relate to the whole.

    

    
-- 

      

        Don R. Day

        Founding Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee (current version:
        DITA
          1.3)

        LinkedIn: donrday   Twitter:
        @donrday

        About.me: Don R. Day   Skype:
        don.r.day
      

      

        "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

        Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"

        --T.S. Eliot 
      

    

    

    
On 6/21/2016 3:32 PM, Tom Magliery
      wrote:

    

    
      
      
      
      

        
Regarding the challenge of helping people
          understand the distinction between "DITA" and "DITA OT", here
          are some thoughts stemming from training new (to structured
          authoring) authors, parts of which some people find a little
          alarming, but all of which I cling to nerdily and stubbornly
          nevertheless. It starts with separation of structure and
          formatting. I use this premise to motivate a pair of diagrams,
          simple enough that I think you can get them from these verbal
          descriptions:

        
 

        
1. For "traditional/DTP", there are two
          blobs in the diagram, one of which says "Authoring tool" and
          has an arrow pointing to the other, which says "Output". 

        
 

        
2. For "structured authoring" the
          "Authoring tool" blob yields a "Structured document", which
          sits next to another (originless) blob called "Style sheets".
          Both of these blobs feed into another one called "Publishing
          system", which in turn points to the final blob "Output".

        
 

        
The mantra I use with these two diagrams is
          "With structured authoring you are not creating output; you
          are creating input." E.g., you are not saying "This stuff
          should have a box around it and be positioned over
          that-a-way"; you are only saying "This stuff is a sidebar".
          Then the publishing system says "Oh yeah, I know what to do
          with that."

        
 

        
From there it is an easy step to discussing
          the following very real process, strongly similar to the
          code-test-debug cycle in programming:

        
 

        
1. Write some code (XML/content).

        
2. Generate output.

        
3. Examine the output for correctness.

        
4. Fix errors and go to step 2.

        
 

        
I talk of the giddy anticipation when
          you're about to generate output again, the disappointment when
          it's still broken, and of course that eventual rush when you
          finally do get it right.

        
 

        
The "fix errors" part is a burden
          potentially shared by both authors and style sheet developers,
          which does complicate matters. As far as the analogy goes,
          this can be handwaved a bit by the fact that we are teaching
          authors about their particular perspective on this ecosystem.
          But this also gives an opportunity to discuss the
          negotiations/compromises that sometimes must be made between
          markup design, markup usage, and style sheet development
          effort. (Similar negotiations may occur between product
          management and development in a programming shop, btw.)

        
 

        
I think you could possibly push this
          analogy further with comparisons between DITA and programming
          languages, but I have not needed them, or thought them out
          enough to be sure how well it would work.

        
 

        
While I admit that this analogy may be a
          little scary to folks who think programming is intimidating, I
          also think that it helps strengthen the basic premise of
          separation of structure from formatting that really is
          fundamental to understanding why DITA <> DITA OT. The
          cyclical process with "write code" and "generate output" in
          different stages reinforces that they are different parts of
          the system.

        
 

        
mag

        
 

      

    
    

  

	

        
		Virus-free. www.avast.com