RE: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.

From
Keith Schengili-Roberts <>
Date
2019-06-12T15:41:18+00:00
ID
Thread
RE: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.
Just want to chime in that we also use the userinput element in the same way when referring to keyboard-based shortcuts.

 

Due to the nature of our software, our docs rarely, if ever, mention keyboard-shortcuts in the same topic as any user input to be typed into a field or textfield, so there has been no pressing need for us to distinguish between the two.

 

But I wouldnât say no to something like a more specific keyboard element.

 

Cheers!

 

From:  <>
On Behalf Of Dawn Stevens

Sent: June 11, 2019 4:48 PM

To: Zoe Lawson <>; DITA TC <>

Subject: Re: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.

 

I also have many clients wanting a âkeyboardâ element of some kind to distinguish between hardware and software buttons. And our solution tends to be similar to Zoeâs â using <userinput> with or without an outputclass, depending on what
 other needs there might be for <userinput>. 

 

From: dita <>
 on behalf of Zoe Lawson <>

Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 7:09 PM

To: dita <>

Subject: [dita] Stage one proposal: Add an element for things you press on keyboards.

 

I often want to add special formatting for things I press/type, such as CTRL+Z or ALT+0235. I know that <userinput> exists, but that generally seems to be intended for strings you put into fields.
 Also, I generally want different formatting for things I press on a keyboard vs text I need to enter.

 

Right now (because I'm a DITA specialization newbie), I'm using <userinput outputclass="keyboard">CTRL+S</userinput> in my processing. I'd love to simplify this down to something like <keyboard>CTRL+S</keyboard>.
 Potentially this is just a small addition to the software elements domain.

 

And trying to write this without using the word "key" is hard. 

 

Zoà Lawson