Re: [dita] Stage three: #29 Bookmap update -- Ready for TC consideration

From
Kristen James Eberlein <>
Date
2019-12-02T15:34:47+00:00
ID
Thread
Re: [dita] Stage three: #29 Bookmap update -- Ready for TC consideration
Hi, Gershon.

    
Please see my comments below.

    

    
Best,

      Kris

      

      Kristen James Eberlein

      Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

      Principal consultant, Eberlein Consulting

      www.eberleinconsulting.com

      +1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)

      

    

    
On 12/2/2019 9:17 AM, Gershon Joseph
      wrote:

    

    
      
      
      
      

        
Hi all,

        
Â

        
I have reviewed this proposal and have a
          few comments (they are general comments not specifically
          related to this proposal. Excuse me if any of these things
          have been discussed in my absence from the TC, in which case
          just refer me to the minutes or other documentation.

        
Â

        
Point #1

        
This proposal does not state why the change
          is being done. Whatâs the motivation for this change? Whatâs
          the business case? I can think of a couple, but I think the
          proposal should mention the business or technical need driving
          the change. Then this text could be lifted as-is to the
          documentation of the standard, which should make life easier
          for the authors of the eventual standard.

      

    
    
<kje>This is covered in the stage
          two proposal. It would be good if you familiarized yourself
          with the stage 1, stage 2, and stage processes. We put
          considerable time in implementing this new process for DITA
          1.3 and revising it for DITA 2.0; we are pretty satisfied with
          it.

    
I'm very glad to see you back
          participating on the TC, Gershon, but you will have some
          catching up to do! We've changed a lot of processes since I
          became chair.

    
See:

    
      
Stage two proposal for #29: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201910/msg00097.html

      
DITA 2.0 process: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_2.0_Proposal_Process_DRAFT
            (ignore fact that URL contains the word DRAFT)

          </kje>

    
    
      

        

        
Â

        
Point #2

        
Why are we concerned about keeping backward
          compatibility in a major release? The TC has a huge,
          once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fix and improve things that
          we could not do with any minor release of the standard. If
          there is a better way to achieve the desired outcome, I
          suggest we do it now and document any backward incompatibility
          we introduce. Iâm concerned about making the DTD files more
          complex simply for the sake of backwards compatibility when
          weâre doing a major release.

      

    
    
<kje>DITA 2.0 is our very first
          backwards INCOMPATIBLE release. This has scared many people in
          the committee. Accordingly, we are committed to documenting
          backwards-incompatible stuff carefully. We also consider how
          big of an impact a change would have and whether it's worth
          it.

    
In general, we're doing a whole lot of
          clean up and implementing a lot of changes to previous design
          decisions that ended up being less than optimal.</kje>

    
      

        

        
Â

        
Point #3

        
Point #2 is a good Segway into this
          concern. The standard says the XSDs are the normative
          standard, but our proposals talk about DTDs almost
          exclusively. All of our content model discussions are based on
          how to achieve the outcome via DTDs. If the XSD schema is
          normative, letâs focus our discussion on the XSD
          implementation and optimize that. At this time, the XSDs are
          essentially reverse-engineered DTDs, and donât take full
          opportunity of XSD functionality. For DITA 2.0 I feel strongly
          we should re-architect the XSDs to fully embrace the schema
          functionality and best practices. Many vendors have raised
          this concern with me, so itâs not just me. <duck as Robert
          A throws a large heavy object in my direction/>

        
Seriously, Iâm not undermining the huge
          effort Robert and others put into the XSDs, I really do
          appreciate it. What Iâm suggesting is we take on an XSD
          re-architecture at this time before itâs too late.

      

    
    

    
<kje>Um ... No. You are missing
          facts. RNG is the normative grammar and has been so since 1.3.
          We will not be shipping XSDs for DITA 2.0, unless someone
          steps forward to create and test them. Firm decision made
          already by the TC.</kje>

    
      

        

        
Â

        
Point #4

        
The formatting of figure titles is
          confusing. I keep thinking the figure title is a figure
          caption referring to the code sample above, due to the lack of
          space above the title and huge space below. The figure title
          actually refers to the figure below the title. I know this is
          OASIS style, but please, please letâs fix it!!

      

    
    <kje>If you have specific changes to
        suggest, I'll point you to the relevant plug-in. It lives in a
        DITA TC Git repo.</kje>
    
      

        

        
Â

        
Besides these gripes, I really like this
          proposal and see how it will make life easier for many users.
          I think weâd use it eventually at Mastercard (my current
          client at Precision Content).

        
Â

        
This is a very well-written proposal. Job
          well done!

      

    
    <kje>Thanks.</kje>
    
      

        

        
Â

        
Gershon

        
Â

        
Â

        

          
From: <>
              on behalf of Kristen James Eberlein
              <>

              Date: Sunday, 1 December 2019 at 16:43

              To: DITA TC <>

              Subject: [dita] Stage three: #29 Bookmap update --
              Ready for TC consideration

        

        

          
Â

        

        
This proposal has been reviewed by:

        
          

            Nancy Harrison, Individual member

          

            Eliot Kimber, Individual member

          

            Eric Sirois, IXIASOFT

        
        
The PDF is attached; the DITA source is available at 
http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/dita/trunk/DITA-2.0/stage-3/Issue-29-bookmap-update.dita

        

          
-- 

            Best,

            Kris

            

            Kristen James Eberlein

            Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

            Principal consultant, Eberlein Consulting

            www.eberleinconsulting.com

            +1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)