RE: [saml-dev] SAML, trust and WS.

From
Cahill, Conor P <>
Date
2005-12-05T14:49:40+00:00
ID
8AEB79DC01BE994D8DE3FD02FA5B475B0248A986@orsmsx409
Thread
RE: [saml-dev] SAML, trust and WS.
Title: SAML, trust and WS.

 

  
Where the user gets the Assertion from ? IDP 
  ?  In the federated example/SSO it was clear what the relationship 
  between user/SP/IDP was. with the Wsse I kind of don't get the full 
  picture. 

This has to be profiled within some other 
specifications.  The SAML specifications profile a few cases such as 
browser based SSO, but do not profile a web services use 
case.

The Liberty Alliance ID-WSF specifications do profile 
this use case including defining an Authentication Service (which would 
typically be exposed by the SAML IdP), Discovery Service, and Application 
Service invocation framework.

  
The Service somehow will have to trust the 
  Asserting party even though in different trust domains ? Or this means that 
  the user can only be authenticated in his trust domain ? 

The Service will need to accept ("trust") the statements made by 
the issuer of the assertion (assuming the client met the terms of the 
subject confirmation and conditions).  I would say this means that the 
Service is in the same trust domain as the issuer (not necessarily the same as 
the client as it's the issuer that is important for the 
recipient). 

  
The SAML message will need to contain all the 
  information necessary to the Service A to make the decision. I mean Service A 
  don't need to go somewhere else to check that the assertion is valid as he has 
  got all the info he requires. I guess it's here where subject confirmation 
  might come in place ? 

I would not say this is a SAML message.  I would say this is 
an application message that carries a SAML assertion within the security context 
for the message.   The profile that I spoke about above would need to 
profile things like what are the requirements for binding the assertion to the 
message.

Note that Service A could validate the token itself, or could send 
it to some other party to do the validation (such as the issuer).  I 
know of some implemetnations that have done this in order to ease the 
implementation at the recipients.

Another alternative, btw, if you are going to use non-signed 
messages, is to use the WSS SecurityTokenReference to carry a reference to 
the token so the SP can retrieve the token directly from the issuer (this 
can have substantial savings in processing as in many cases the token won't need 
to be signed since it is going directly from the issuer to the relying 
party rather than going through a third party. 

Conor