← Prev in month ← Prev in thread

Policies with No Subject

From
System
Date
2001-09-19T21:27:00+00:00
ID
Thread
Policies with No Subject
At the F2F I asserted that a policy could contain zero or more subjects. The use of a policy with zero subjects was questioned. My answer was that if the policy did not consider any information about a subject, there was no need for a subject in the policy. For example, if the policy says the resource can be accessed between 24:00 and 6:00, there is no need to specify a subject.  At the meeting several people agreed that in a case like this, there would still be a subject. There would be some kind of indicator that it applied to all subjects, such as  *  or  ALL . I conceded this possibility at the time and the discussion turned to other topics.  I now believe that this is illogical. I assume that policies can take as inputs items such as the date and time, network location, method of authentication and so on. Therefore, if a policy that does not consider subject information must contain  all subjects  then logically a policy that does not consider time must contain  all times , a policy that does not consider location must contain  all locations  and so on.  This would obviously cause every policy to become encrusted with useless junk. I think it is clearly much simpler to put into each policy just the items that need to be evaluated and leave out the others. The point is that I consider subject to be just one type of input that may or may not be used for policy decisions.  Hal
← Prev in month ← Prev in thread