Re: [xacml] Minutes for 25 May 2017 TC Meeting

From
rich levinson <>
Date
2017-06-08T14:44:23+00:00
ID
Thread
Re: [xacml] Minutes for 25 May 2017 TC Meeting
Hi Martin,

    

    I tried that link and it was not accessible.

    However I googled: "ibm Policy-Frameworks-Akbar",

    and found a link to a .ppt from Virginia Tech, which I think

    might be the same thing?

    

      Thanks,

      Rich

    

    

    
On 5/25/2017 8:11 PM, Martin Smith
      wrote:

    

    
      
Hal et al.-- 
        

        

        
In today's XACML TC call I mentioned a demo I saw some
          years ago that approached my ideal of how a policy
          construction tool aimed at users who are lawyers or policy
          analysts might operate. You asked if I could find a reference
          to give the TC a better idea of what I was describing. 

        

        

        
Here is a link to a presentation on the project (which was
          an IBM experimental effort called "Sparcle".) This
          presentation seems to be from 2009, but the demo I got from
          the project lead, Dr. Clare-Marie Karat, was earlier and
          included actual screen-shots of the software. That would have
          been more useful in illustrating what I found so attractive.
          I'll look further to see if I can find something like that but
          I'm not optimistic. 

        

        

        

          
 http://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/30747409/Policy-Frameworks-Akbar.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A&Expires=1495756237&Signature=GnVvfc7cv%2FxdvkCRCGps%2BWAqUlQ%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DPolicy_framework_for_security_and_privac.pdf

        

        

        

        
Martin

        

        

        

        

        

        

        
  

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

        

          

          

          

          

        

      

      

        
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 5:20 PM, rich
          levinson <>
          wrote:

          Time: 4:30
            PM EST (-0400 GMT)

            Tel: 1-712-775-7031

            Access Code: 620-103-760

            

            Minutes for 25 May 2017 TC Meeting

            

            I. Roll Call & Minutes

            

            Attendance:

            

            Steven Legg

            Rich Levinson

            Hal Lockhart

            Bill Parducci

            Martin Smith

            

                bill: we have quorum

            

            

             Approve Minutes for 11 May 2017

              https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201705/msg00002.html

            

               hal: any obj unan? none heard:

                minutes approved:

            

            

            II. Administrivia

              No open administrative issues outstanding.

            

            

            III. Issues

            

             Errata Status:

              Vote approved last mtg for tc-admin to initiate 15-day
            public review:

               action was to notify tc-admin (see minutes above)

            

                request in jira is 2585, not yet assigned

            

              hal published comment resolution log:

                https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201705/msg00006.html

            

            

             Consider ideas for making xacml more visible publicly:

              (things seem to have been down-played in wake of json/xml
            controversy)

               (for ref: here are some of the json issues that have been
            swept under rug:

                 http://seriot.ch/parsing_json.php)

            

                    hal: json spec + alfa is json-like, but probably
            more robust wrt rep xacml

                    rich: would like to here from david more based on
            his email ref'd below.

            

                    martin: impediment: policy based access control: if
            then else examples

                     in the xacml docs, also done, then below is xml

                     until we get to point that people can represent
            policy in if-then-else

                      and relate that to xacml logic;

            

                    hal: most of xacml is turing complete, xacml is
            logic and can be resolved.

                     subject to analysis; style of idioms needs to be
            learned.

            

                    martin: tools haven't bridged gap of

            

                    hal: oauth scope is like a policy: action,resource;
            can construct equivalent

                     xacml rep of that; incl wildcarding, compact
            notation;

            

                    rich: maybe look at policies from the perspective of
            questions to ask about

                     policies for example "who as access to a specific
            resource".

            

                    martin: natural language words on a page

            

                    hal: wiggle-room is what makes democracy work (i.e.
            flexibility in interpretation

                     of a set of rules)

            

                    martin: strength of xacml is very large policies
            "can" be written and be solid.

            

                    hal: amzn's policy lang is json-like rep of xacml

            

            

              Follow-up emails:

                david:

                    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201705/msg00003.html

                martin:

                    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201705/msg00004.html

                rich:

                    https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/201705/msg00005.html

                 + additional ref to hi-level arch of oauth/xacml:

                    http://svn.code.sf.net/p/openaz/code/branches/RB-1.2/openaz/test/doc/test/OAuthSimulator.html

            

            

            

            ---------------------------------------------------------------------

            To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS
            TC that generates this mail.  Follow this link to all your
            TCs in OASIS at:

            https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/portal/my_workgroups.php
            

          
        

        

        
        

        

        -- 

        

          
Martin F Smith, Principal
            
BFC
                  Consulting, LLC

            
McLean,
                Va 22102

            
703
                506-0159

            
703
                389-3224 mobile