Re: [xml-dev] REST has too many verbs

From
Gavin Thomas Nicol <>
To
Date
2002-02-11T22:19:27Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] REST has too many verbs
On Monday 11 February 2002 04:51 pm, Mark Baker wrote:
> There are many application protocols that retrieve stuff; FTP, IMAP,
> NNTP, SMTP (VRFY & EXPN, for example).  To generalize those into
> "GET", plus a URI to identify what is being "gotten", was a stroke
> of brilliance. 

I think it's questionable whether the unification has more to do with 
GET than with URI's themselves. FWIW. The unification happened a long 
time ago, before the WWW.... in the old days, email-><whatever> 
gateways existed.... I used them all the time to circumvent firewall 
policies ;-)

> getFile(), getName(), getArticle(), getStockQuote() were what we had
> *before* the Web.  I can't see any reason to go back after seeing
> what can be achieved with GET.

What does that have to do with REST then?