RE: [xml-dev] Errors in Kendall Clark's xml.com article on QNames

From
Evan Lenz <>
To
"Henry S. Thompson" <>
Date
2002-02-13T21:56:37Z
ID
<>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] Errors in Kendall Clark's xml.com article on QNames
Henry Thompson wrote:
> > If it
> > sits better with you, I'll add the word "non-redundant": "exactly where
> > every [non-redundant] xmlns declaration is and what prefix it uses".
>
> It's the _exactly where_ part I'm disputing.  I couldn't care less
> where the namespaces which are in scope are declared, and the
> [in-scope namespaces] property doesn't record that.

You're quite right that on the single-element level, the [in-scope
namespaces] property does not indicate where the namespace was declared.
However, I can determine that information by recursively traversing the
[parent] property. In other words, for a given Infoset (i.e. the entire
document), I indeed can tell you _exactly where_ all the non-redundant
namespace declarations occurred in the XML source (modulo attribute order).
Individual xmlns declarations are more significant than you're implying. The
extra level of indirection/abstraction provided by the Infoset does not take
away from the fact that this information needs to be preserved.

Evan