Re: [xml-dev] XML doesn't deserve its "X".

From
Elliotte Rusty Harold <>
To
Date
2002-03-05T15:01:16Z
ID
<p04330105b8aa8d46dcc5@[192.168.254.4]>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] XML doesn't deserve its "X".
At 2:50 PM +0100 3/5/02, Eric van der Vlist wrote:


><snippet-from-another-answer>
>Let's take a simple example... I have a text only element:
>
><ns1:foo>This is a simple example.</ns1:foo>
>
>If I extend this example to include a semantic element to identify
>"simple" as an adjective:
>
><ns1:foo>This is a <ns2:adj>simple</ns2:adj> example.</ns1:foo>
>
>I am changing a text leaf node into a mixed content including 2 text
>nodes separated by a child element and this will likely break 90+% of
>the existing applications.
>

Yes. However, XPath and XSLT based applications will process this 
correctly without blinking because this hasn't changed the string 
value of the ns1:foo element. The more I learn about XPath and XSLT 
the more I'm amazed by them.
-- 

+-----------------------+------------------------+-------------------+
| Elliotte Rusty Harold |  | Writer/Programmer |
+-----------------------+------------------------+-------------------+
|          The XML Bible, 2nd Edition (Hungry Minds, 2001)           |
|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764547607/cafeaulaitA/   |
+----------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://www.cafeaulait.org/      |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/    |
+----------------------------------+---------------------------------+