Re: [xml-dev] Stupid Question (was RE: [xml-dev] XML doesn't deserve its "X".)

From
Joe English <>
To
Date
2002-03-06T15:54:57Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Stupid Question (was RE: [xml-dev] XML doesn't deserve its "X".)
Paul Prescod wrote:
> Joe English wrote:
> > Of course this may just be a lack of imagination on my part;
> > there may be many compelling use cases for xsi:type, I just
> > can't think of any. [...]
>
> Think of it merely as a convenience feature that saves you the
> application writer from writing little conversion functions.

That makes sense.

I do almost all of my XML processing in Tcl and Haskell;
the former is untyped so conversion is implicit, and the
latter is statically typed so dynamic type hints don't help
any.  But I can see where this would be useful in a latently
typed language like Python or Scheme; a general-purpose
data binding/type converter utility could use xsi:type
to determine what kind of application object to manufacture.


--Joe English