RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema to relaxNG xslt

From
Dare Obasanjo <>
To
John Cowan <>
Date
2002-06-21T18:58:08Z
ID
<>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema to relaxNG xslt
> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Cowan [mailto:] 
> Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 11:11 AM
> To: Dare Obasanjo
> Cc: Rick Taylor; 
> Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema to relaxNG xslt
> 
> > W3C XML Schema has a number of features that do not exist 
> in RELAX NG
> 
> I would like to see you or somebody cash this cheque.  So far 
> there has been plenty about RNG features that don't exist in 
> WXS, but not so much vice versa except for the extensible types.
 
Extensible types are a major feature of W3C XML Schema and I don't think
I've seen many schemas that do not use them. A RELAX NG mapping of an
XSD document that doesn't replicate this functionality one way or the
other is a non-starter for most of the uses of XSD that I've seen. Look
through news://microsoft.public.xml & news://microsoft.public.dotnet.xml
compare the ratio of schemata that use type extensibility to those that
do not. A lot of functionality falls under extensible types including
polymorphism via substitution groups and xsi:type which I do not see
RELAX NG being able to do. 

I also don't see any RELAX NG equivalent to the identity constraints
xs:unique, xs:keyref and xs:key.

Is there anything akin to xs:redefine in RELAX NG? I couldn't find it in
a cursory reading of the tutorial or the spec.   

-- 
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM 
Any philosophy that can be put into a nutshell belongs there.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.