Re: [xml-dev] On the promotion and demotion of information items (was Re: [xml-dev] RE: Take 2 - How do you replace comments from XML?)

From
<>
To
Rick Jelliffe <>
Date
2003-03-06T15:06:29Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] On the promotion and demotion of information items (was Re: [xml-dev] RE: Take 2 - How do you replace comments from XML?)
"Rick Jelliffe" <> writes:

> > Incidentally, some WXS experts might say that you want to allow any
> > elements in namespaces other than yours at any position in the
> > document, and attributes in other namespaces on any elements precisely
> > because this allows "I don't know what it is but I included it anyway"
> > information "anywhere" in the document.
> 
> Good point. 
> 
> But it is a bogus approach, because if the schema writer thought the
> information was useful, they would have made the elements in the same
> namespace.  
> 
> The trouble is that it makes it the problem of the schema-writer to foresee 
> that they missed something.  And human nature does not work like that IMHO.  

As long as Len is going on his Neanderthal nostalgia, I might mention
that when I programmed for a certain government entity, and they used
fixed record-length files (don't ask), the requirement was to allocate
so many bytes at the end of each structure one designed for a field
that had to be called FFU. For Future Use.

Ari.