Re: [xml-dev] Doing Web services right

From
Mike Champion <>
To
XML DEV <>
Date
2003-03-12T12:53:42Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Doing Web services right
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:09:48 -0500, Simon St.Laurent 
<> wrote:

>
> Perhaps it's not later bound, but it's very different stuff.

Fair enough, but that trail takes us off into permathread land, and I don't 
want to go there.   I was wondering specifically about late binding.


> Then again, I've argued more than once that REST has too many verbs, and
> that passing nouns from place to place should be enough.

Ooooohhhh, the declarative-procedural controversy, the mother of 
permathreads :-)  I'll stay out of that too.  But seriously, I agree with 
Eliotte Harold's suggestion that someone (us collectively?) try to 
characterize the features that distinguish *technically* successful large- 
scale sites from those that are hard to use, fragile, unreliable, etc.  It 
would be very interesting if Fielding's notion of "sites that don't suck" 
is empirically supportable as well as theoretically elegant.