Re: [xml-dev] ANN: owl.dtd

From
Arjun Ray <>
To
Date
2003-05-26T18:24:14Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] ANN: owl.dtd
John Cowan <> wrote:

| The RDF/XML syntax is designed to minimize the Hamming distance between
| any fairly well designed data-oriented XML and valid RDF.

An example demonstrating this assertion would be enlightening.  Right now,
I'm not sure I understand how "Hamming distance" applies.  

All the more so because I don't find any evidence of "design" in RDF/XML
syntax: on the contrary it's all too obvious that some people were in an
inordinate rush to start tossing taggery into Netploder.  

When it - naturally, later - came to light that DTDs probably wouldn't
"allow" such happy-go-taggy insouciance, the tack to take became, "Well,
this DTD stuff is no damn good."  BTDT.

 http://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9508&L=html-wg&P=R14154

| In other words, it maximizes flexibility; there is *always* more than
| one way to do it.

Yes. and that's why I find the claim of maximum flexibility dubious.