Re: [xml-dev] Why 3D Redux?

From
Bob Foster <>
To
"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <>, 'James Landrum' <>
Date
2003-07-16T00:19:11Z
ID
<04e201c34b2f$e2cbd0a0$1401a8c0@snobird>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Why 3D Redux?
From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <>
> Here is a VRML example that integrates data displays with
> real time animation, points of view, etc. as a means of
> illustrating a historical event.  In this case, the world's
> first manned spaceflight by Yuri Gagarin. April 12, 1961.  Note
> this is an accurate portrayal right down to the ejection from
> the capsule, a bit that many people don't know about and a
> valid reason at the time for refusing to award them the
> world prize (technically, the pilot was required to land
> in the ship) had it been known then.
>
> http://www.parallelgraphics.com/gagarin/

Don't know if you intended it, but this is a good illustration to me why 3D
isn't more widely used. When I tried to access this
(http://www.parallelgraphics.com/vrml/gagarin2/3d/index.html) in Mozilla
1.1, exactly nothing happened. When I tried in Explorer 6.0.2600, I got a
request to ok a download of some software, which I did, and then...exactly
nothing happened.

How is it again that VRML triumphed over Microsoft?

Bob Foster