RE: [xml-dev] Defining non-WXS datatypes

From
Bullard, Claude L (Len) <>
To
'Jeni Tennison' <>,
Date
2003-07-17T19:37:36Z
ID
<>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] Defining non-WXS datatypes
Neat, Jeni.

I observe that every time the web architectural design hits 
a snag by creating sharable objects that constrict the 
space of objects that can be shared, the same solution 
is adopted: to create a document type that declares the 
means of declaring the objects to be shared.

There is a pattern here worthy of study if an only if
it breaks through the glass ceiling of attempting to 
equate the names of things with the things we share.

len


From: Jeni Tennison [mailto:]

A little while ago, Rick Jelliffe issued the challenge:
> Personally, I think it is high time for people who don't like the
> W3C datatypes to band together to make a concrete alternative.

I thought I'd spend a little time on this, so I've put together a
"datatype library language". The idea is that applications such as
RELAX NG validators or XPath 2.0 processors could read in a document
in this language and use it to construct a datatype library or set of
in-scope type definitions.

Note that this isn't a proposed datatype library -- it's not a
replacement for the XML Schema datatypes -- rather, it's a language
that enables users to create declarative definitions of the datatype
libraries that they need.