Re: [xml-dev] Sun is forking SAX

From
<>
To
Date
2003-07-21T16:43:10Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Sun is forking SAX
Elliotte Rusty Harold <> writes:

> At 10:04 PM -0700 7/20/03, K. Ari Krupnikov wrote:
> 
> >I agree that these are poor interfaces, but aren't these the ones that
> >the "full-size", j2SE JAXP specifies?
> 
> No, that's a very common misconception, and I don't know
> why. SAXParser/SAXParserFactory were added to JAXP 1.0 because it only
> supported SAX 1, which did not have any equivalent of
> XMLReader/XMLReaderFactory.

Thank you for pointing this out. Makes perfect sense now that you
mention it; I just never thought javax.xml.parsers for the makeshift
extension to SAX and DOM that it is. I guess the entire package should
be deprecated once DOM Level 3 L&S is finalized?

It is possible that the confusion has something to do with the fact
that XMLReaderFactory hides deep in the org.xml.sax.helpers package,
along with classes that are mostly useful for SAX producers.

Ari.