RE: [xml-dev] Are we ready for the namespace ID registry, yet? (w as: RelaxNG question)

From
Jeff Lowery <>
To
'Chiusano Joseph' <>, Jeff Lowery <>
Date
2003-08-21T19:47:52Z
ID
<>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] Are we ready for the namespace ID registry, yet? (w as: RelaxNG question)
> 
> As with your response. ;)
> 
> Care to elaborate? (question was regarding the use of hierarchical
> URN/URLs).

I was hoping that would be elaboration enough. <g>

Okay, to be more explicit, would you really want to type (or read) something
like:

urn:us:gov:dod:don:navy:

in front of each and every element and attribute name in a hypothetical Navy
XML document? I wouldn't, although I do the equivalent in Java often enough.

I think the pertinent question is: are there enough short string sequences
for all namespace identifiers, now and in the future, that aren't so
abstract to be illegible?  In other words, could one be stuck for a
meaningful short string ns ID because all the ones they wanted to use are in
use by others?

Thanks for being persistent, anyway. Good questions, all.