Re: [xml-dev] RE : [xml-dev] Text or tags choice with XSD

From
John Cowan <>
To
"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <>
Date
2003-09-09T20:27:44Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] RE : [xml-dev] Text or tags choice with XSD
Bullard, Claude L (Len) scripsit:

> Why do I need to know that both dogs and cats are mammals? 
> Must I state that every time I feed the dog or the cat?

Note that the names "simple-time" and "complex-time" are themselves
complex in structure, unlike "dog" and "cat".  "Dog" and "cat" are
both ground-level notions with simple, native words.  "Mammal" is above
ground level.  But "time of day" is a ground-level notion, and "human
time convention" vs. "structural time convention" is below ground level.

-- 
"No, John.  I want formats that are actually       John Cowan
useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
address all questions by piling on ridiculous      http://www.reutershealth.com
internal links in forms which are hideously        
over-complex." --Simon St. Laurent on xml-dev