Re: [xml-dev] some days I'm wrong

From
Simon St.Laurent <>
To
Date
2003-09-20T19:58:45Z
ID
<r02000000-1026-D7F5099AEBA411D7B3530003937A08C2@[192.168.124.11]>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] some days I'm wrong
 (Elliotte Rusty Harold) writes:
>For what it's worth I don't think you were wrong. I personally find 
>the RELAX NG XML syntax *much* easier to read, understand, and write 
>than the compact syntax. Perhaps that's a function of my relative 
>unfamiliarity with RELAX NG compared to you, but that's the point of 
>XML's verboseness, isn't it? It's easier for a non-expert to 
>understand any given format.

I think it depends a lot on scale and situation.

This was a case where there were lots and lots of parts, entering the
information quickly was much easier in the compact form, and teaching
yet another XML vocabulary didn't seem like a great idea.

With the compact syntax,  I was able to walk the schema creator from
their spreadsheet to a simple list to the compact syntax with a minimum
number of roundabout steps.

(Yes, I could also have done something similar with DTDs, but then I
would have had to explain entities as something separate from patterns
and couldn't have used the data types they'd already chosen.)