RE: [xml-dev] Meta-somethingorother (was the semantic web mega-permathread thing)

From
Didier PH Martin <>
To
'Michael Champion' <>, 'XML Developers List' <>
Date
2004-06-09T12:22:41Z
ID
<009401c44e1c$75a2f080$c801a8c0@DIDIERHOME>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] Meta-somethingorother (was the semantic web mega-permathread thing)
Hi Michael,

> So "metadata" is "content" transformed into a more conveniently
> machine-processable form?  OK, that does explain a lot of points that I
> wasn't understanding in your, or Dare's or Joshua's arguments.  It's
> not what I thought of as metadata, or what Doctorow is flaming.  I
> guess we need a meta-model of metadata to keep this all straight!
> 

Yes it seems that some people are looking at the RDF framework as a way to
encode records or frames (i.e. data) and others see it as a way to encode
meta-data about data. The problem is that we do not always know the
reference context. So maybe we should develop the reflex to ask:

Are you talking about RDF as a way to encode a set of properties or as a way
to publish meta-data about some data?

Note to anybody who is willing to help the community: polish the sentence
(my English is poor sometimes when I type faster than my editing brain :-)
and publish it. We will copy and paste it in future messages about the
semantic web

Cheers
Didier PH Martin