RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in XML schema?
If the question is schema the right place to capture constraints I think u nailed it in your post - however - given that constraints have validity periods I don't see database constraints supporting such a mechanism - whether that validity period is driven by a start date , end date or locale based or some other policies, etc is question for an individual application to anwser.
I was trying to address the part of being "wary of constraints" - to me constraints need to be enforced - would i opt for database constraints or declarative constraints based system or procedural constraints or processes - the anwser is it depends on the scenario - each come with tradeoffs.
for example consider the constraint the expiry date should be after effective date - in most scenarios that constraint holds true!
prakash
Michael Kay <[email protected]> wrote: