Re: [xml-dev] What should TrAX look like? (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Article on JAXP 1.3 "Fast and Easy XML Processing")

From
Bill de hÓra <>
To
Elliotte Harold <>
Date
2005-02-17T20:14:02Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] What should TrAX look like? (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Article on JAXP 1.3 "Fast and Easy XML Processing")
Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Bill de hÓra wrote:
> 
>> I don't seem to be getting all the mail in this thread, but to 
>> whomever said that, please count me out of your consensus.
>>
> 
> My apologies. I think the thread accidentally went off list into private 
> mail for a time.
> 
> Would you like to step up and defend Source as the appropriate level of 
> abstraction?

I thought I had already indicated:

  - that a heavily overloaded method indicates a missing abstraction [1]

  - that Source is not ideal, but a better basis for evolution than a 
class with a heavily overloaded method.

So if it's day 1 of iteration 2, then I suggest starting out from Source 
not polymorphism [2].

cheers
Bill

[1] strictly speaking, there's a responsibility that ought to be 
encapsulated within an object, but currently is not.