Re: [xml-dev] Substitution Groups

From
Andy Greener <>
To
Xml-Dev <>
Date
2005-02-18T15:09:49Z
ID
<p06200750be3b7016fde6@[89.10.0.19]>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Substitution Groups
At 10:00 am +0000 18/2/05, Paul Spencer wrote:
>I have been trying to work with a set of published schemas that use
>substitution groups and found that the schemas themselves were not valid. So
>I started looking at other published schemas that use them and found that
>these were also not accepted by one or more XML processors (I tried Xerces,
>MSXML and .NET) or used some very complex work-arounds.
>
>Are substitution groups practical when the head of the group is in a
>different schema document from the members of the group? The scenario is
>this:

This is the way XBRL works - the 'item' head is defined in the generic XBRL
instance Schema document, and members of the item substitution group
(representing actual financial facts) are defined in the Taxonomy Schema.
An <import> of the instance Schema in the Taxonomy Schema does the trick...
or is there something more subtle about your scenario concerning type
derivation that I'm missing?
-- 

Andy Greener                         Mob: +44 7836 331933
GID Ltd, Reading, UK                 Tel: +44 118 956 1248
                       Fax: +44 118 958 9005