RE: [xml-dev] newbie XUpdate how to use with java!

From
Uche Ogbuji <>
To
Michael Kay <>
Date
2005-04-23T23:47:53Z
ID
<1114300073.7121.95.camel@borgia>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] newbie XUpdate how to use with java!
On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 20:40 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
>  > I start working with XML, I have to modify a document
> > by adding new elements. I know that I must use XUpdate
> > syntax but in java what class, method do I call to
> > send the XUpdate query and execute it?
> 
> XUpdate is designed essentially for updating documents within XML databases.

No it's not.  It's designed for updating XML documents.  Full stop.

> For updating standalone documents, the usual approach is to use XSLT to
> transform the old document to a new document, which you can then use to
> overwrite the old document if you wish.

I prefer XUpdate myself, and our XUpdate tools work on the command line,
or from simple Python API.  I'd be surprised if there weren't such tools
for Java as well.


-- 
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com
http://copia.ogbuji.net                   http://4Suite.org
Use CSS to display XML, part 2 - http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss2-i.html
XML Output with 4Suite & Amara - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/04/20/py-xml.html
Use XSLT to prepare XML for import into OpenOffice Calc - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-oocalc/
Schema standardization for top-down semantic transparency - http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think31.html