← Prev in month
← Prev in thread
Processing XML 1.1 documents with XML Schema 1.0 processors
Hi, The W3C has recently published a note titled "Processing XML 1.1 documents with XML Schema 1.0 processors" (http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-xml11schema10-20050511/) that makes the following suggestion: <quote ref="http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-xml11schema10-20050511/#d0e532"> To produce an XML-1.1-friendly version of an XML Schema 1.0 processor: 1. Replace its XML 1.0 front-end parser with an XML 1.1 front-end parser; 2. Change its implementations of the XML Schema types Name, NMTOKEN, QName and string, to use the relevant XML (Namespaces) 1.1 productions; </quote> I am wondering what would be the status of such a W3C XML Schema 1.0 processor that would comply to XML 1.1 but would not comply to the XML Schema part 2 rec! While it seems a good idea for people using XML 1.1 to have datatype libraries that support XML 1.1 productions, I think that there should be a way to specify which datatype library you want to use. This is the case with RELAX NG and its external datatype libraries identified through URI's. W3C XML Schema does also use URIs to identify its datatypes and disambiguate between its predefined types (xs:token) and user defined types (my:token). I am not a big fan of using namespace URIs for the versioning of XML vocabularies, but the versioning of datatype libraries is a different story and I am wondering if WXS couldn't use URIs to differentiate the XML 1.0 and XML 1.1 datatype libraries. In that case, I could choose between xs1.0:token and xs1.1:token by assigning the right namespace URIs to these prefixes. Putting aside the incompatibilities which belong to the level of the parser, I am also wondering if XML 1.1 datatypes couldn't be derived from the W3C XML Schema 1.0 xs:string datatypes using the pattern facet. In that case, a part of the problem could be solved by defining a "standard" user type library emulating XML 1.1 productions as user defined W3C XML Schema part 2 datatypes. Would that make sense? My 0,02€ Eric -- Have you ever thought about unit testing XSLT templates? http://xsltunit.org ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Eric van der Vlist http://xmlfr.org http://dyomedea.com (ISO) RELAX NG ISBN:0-596-00421-4 http://oreilly.com/catalog/relax (W3C) XML Schema ISBN:0-596-00252-1 http://oreilly.com/catalog/xmlschema ------------------------------------------------------------------------
← Prev in month
← Prev in thread