Re: [xml-dev] XML Max Character Value

From
Tom Moog <>
To
Alan Gutierrez <>
Date
2005-08-14T01:53:41Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] XML Max Character Value
The maximum for xml is 0x10ffff.

You may want to think in terms of utf-8 encoding.

One characteristic of utf-8 is that it preserves the order
of strings.  In other words, if code(A) < code(B), then 
utf-8(A) < utf-8(B) when compared as a sequence of unsigned
8 bit bytes.



On Aug 13 07:19, Alan Gutierrez <> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML Max Character Value
>
> * Bob Foster <> [2005-08-13 02:55]:
> 
> > Alan Gutierrez wrote:
> 
> > >     I'm implementing B-Tree to index XML documents. I'd like a
> > >     to use maximum character value as a boundry, or failing that a
> > >     minimum character value.
> 
> > I believe the current Unicode character range, and the one that was 
> > effective for the XML 1.0 standard, is 0x20-0x10000 (note 17 bits) plus 
> > the control characters, '\t' and '\n' and minus the surrogate pair range 
> > and 0xFFFF and 0xFFFE.