RE: [xml-dev] XML Max Character Value

From
Derek Denny-Brown <>
To
Alan Gutierrez <>,
Date
2005-08-13T05:28:40Z
ID
<>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] XML Max Character Value
In java, 0xFFFE or 0xFFFF should work.  They aren't strictly the max
Unicode character for XML, but since Java represents Unicode as utf-16
but doesn't really provide much support for surrogate pairs (last I
checked), those should work.  Hm.. Eclipse tells me that there is
Character.MAX_VALUE.  Use at your own risk.

Reading up on Unicode is also recommended though... internationalization
is far, far more complicated than you ever imagined.  I know people who
get the shakes if you just mention "Turkish 'I'" in their presence.
(mild exaggeration...)

-derek

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alan Gutierrez [mailto:]
> Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 9:20 PM
> To: 
> Subject: [xml-dev] XML Max Character Value
> 
>     I'm implementing B-Tree to index XML documents. I'd like a
>     to use maximum character value as a boundry, or failing that a
>     minimum character value.
> 
>     I'm working in Java.
> 
>     Is there a maximum character value guarunteed  be greater than
>     any other character regardless of the locale? Is that character
>     Character.MAX_VALUE?
> 
>     Or do I have to read a book on Unicode? Which one?
> 
> --
> Alan Gutierrez - 
>     - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html
>     - http://engrm.com/blogometer/rss.2.0.xml
> 
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>, an
> initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org>
> 
> The list archives are at http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the subscription
> manager: <http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/index.php>