Re: [xml-dev] Mailmen, POST, Intent, and Duck Typing

From
Chris Burdess <>
To
Peter Hunsberger <>
Date
2006-02-24T16:46:30Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Mailmen, POST, Intent, and Duck Typing
Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>>  The point
>> of pragmatics, I guess, is a formal means to establish a protocol
>> of measures, aka, "right rock; wrong rock".
>
> I sort of conceptualize it as the rules for how discovery is done on
> semantics. Sounds sort of similar?

Semantic disambiguation by context is only one aspect of pragmatics.  
There's also paralinguistics, such as "what are you communicating by  
sending this message above and beyond the content of the message?",  
"what are you communicating by not sending a message?" (insert  
interferometer analogy here), "what can I infer about your intent  
when you send this message?"
-- 
犬 Chris Burdess
   "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety
   deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin