On 2/24/06, Peter Hunsberger <> wrote:
> On 2/24/06, Michael Kay <> wrote:
> > > I'd personally advise against using XSLT as a templating language (for
> > > several reasons I don't have time to go into at the moment) unless you
> > > have a single person with good XSLT skills maintaining the site.
> >
> > I'd advise against using any technology without the appropriate skills: but
> > if you're saying more than this, then I think you need to expand your
> > statement.
>
> Generally the rational for using templates to build a Web site is to
> make it easy for some larger group (over space and/or time) than the
> original developers to maintain the site. XSLT would not be my first
> choice for the development and maintenance of the higher level
> abstractions that can be used to build a Web site. Rather, build a
> vocabulary designed for those needs and keep the XSLT in the core
> where it's not going to be exposed to random Web designers.
>
> --
> Peter Hunsberger
>
> --------
From my experience you have this problem regardless of what
vocabulary/technology you're using. Recreating a presentation
vocabulary, or simply using xhtml may still result in "bad design"
phenomenon. My reasoning for using xsl is to have an include/component
type functionality with parameter passing. And simply creating a new
markup to facilitate this seems redundant.
--
Anthony Ettinger
Signature: http://chovy.dyndns.org/hcard.html