Re: [xml-dev] joining parallel markup

From
Peter Hunsberger <>
To
"Oleg A. Paraschenko" <>
Date
2006-03-14T14:49:53Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] joining parallel markup
On 3/13/06, Oleg A. Paraschenko <> wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  would you please suggest if there are libraries to join markup? For
> example, having two fragments
>
> <x><b>some dummy</b> text</x> and
> <x>some <i>dummy text</i></x>,
>
>  I'd like to get
>
> <x><b>some <i>dummy</i></b><i> text</i></x>,
>
>  or something like it.

If you look at what you are asking for in the most general case, I
believe the answer is not really: you want to to do generalized
merging of graphs (which is believed to be a  NP complete problem). 
If your domain is limited and common (eg. XHTML ) then you might get
lucky and find some existing tools.  Otherwise, I think you've got a
good use case for rolling your own with XSLT...

--
Peter Hunsberger