RE: [xml-dev] Re: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today

From
<>
To
Michael Kay <>
Date
2006-05-11T19:27:26Z
ID
<>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] Re: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today
On Thu, 11 May 2006, Michael Kay wrote:

> Or could someone correct me? If I bumped into a service-oriented IT system
> in one bank on one side of the street, and an object-oriented IT system in
> another bank on the other side of the street, how would I tell which was
> which (other than by the choice of jargon on the Powerpoint slides)?

     Having just joined this list, and entered in the middle of this 
discussion, perhaps I'm missing the point?  OO generally refers to the 
interaction of pieces of code running in a single process on a single 
computer, whereas SOA refers to the interaction between different 
processes running on (possibly) different computers.
     Of course, there are plenty of grey areas - "distributed object" 
systems like CORBA or RMI, etc.  As much as anything, I think SOA is a 
state of mind - trying to expose as much of your code as possible to 
remote code written by other people running on other computers.

Peter