RE: [xml-dev] hierarchical XML in a relational DB structure - moving nodes

From
Bullard, Claude L (Len) <>
To
Ken North <>, xml-dev <>
Date
2006-05-24T21:55:25Z
ID
<>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] hierarchical XML in a relational DB structure - moving nodes
No Ken, he was an American as I recall doing business in the CALS world.
He and I discussed his techniques when he presented them at a conference
I was keynoting in the very early nineties.    If someone has access to
archives of TAG, it may be there somewhere.

Thanks for the reminder about the SQL sort order.  I ran into that too.
Indexing by mapping hierarchy to integer ids looked intuitively simple
but proved to be anything but.   I think the tumbler idea is a bit
better and more amenable to string wrangling.

len


From: Ken North [mailto:] 

>> In the SGML days, there was a relational guru whose name I can't
recall.

We discussed Hans Schouten's work in this thread. Is he the person?
http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200408/msg00317.html