Re: [xml-dev] [Watchers of the Web] The evolving form of information on the Web?

From
Bob Irving <>
Date
2006-05-08T15:28:49Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] [Watchers of the Web] The evolving form of information on the Web?
And how do you distinguish between 'real' HTML information and tiny  
little gifs used as fillers, buttons etc on pages? By size? type?  
There can be many of these in a page but they are not real content.
Perhaps G**gle could do it?
	Bob Irving

On 8 May 2006, at 16:16, Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> <Quote>
> Okay, that's what I am seeking; that's my objective.  How do I obtain
> it?  /Roger
> </Quote>
>
> Probably not possible, IMHO - too big and ambitious a task. Would
> require a snapshot (or continuous monitor, for ongoing results) of  
> every
> single file created everywhere in the world (that is, those not behind
> firewalls).
>
> Joe
>
> Joseph Chiusano
> Associate
> Booz Allen Hamilton
>
> 700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
> Washington, DC 20005
> O: 202-508-6514
> C: 202-251-0731
> Visit us online@ http://www.boozallen.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Costello, Roger L. [mailto:]
> Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 11:04 AM
> To: 
> Subject: RE: [xml-dev] [Watchers of the Web] The evolving form of
> information on the Web?
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have been having some offline discussions with Greg Hunt.  He is
> helping me find clarity on what I am seeking:
>
> Greg: What are you trying to achieve really?
>
> Roger: I just want to know the state of the Web today, with respect to
> the use of content types.  For example, 15 years ago HTML was clearly
> the dominate content type of the Web.  Is that true today?  Has a  
> shift
> occurred?  Perhaps other content types have nudged out HTML for top
> ranking?  I want a "content type snapshot" each year so that I can see
> how the Web is evolving. I want to be a Watcher of the Web's  
> evolution.
> To be a Watcher, I need hard, concrete data.
>
>
> Okay, that's what I am seeking; that's my objective.  How do I obtain
> it?  /Roger
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>, an
> initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org>
>
> The list archives are at http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the subscription
> manager: <http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/index.php>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>, an
> initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org>
>
> The list archives are at http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the subscription
> manager: <http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/index.php>
>