Next in thread → Next in month →

Re: [xml-dev] Enforcing use of xsi:type

From
George Cristian Bina <>
To
Paul Spencer <>
Date
2006-06-07T13:47:11Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Enforcing use of xsi:type
Hi Paul,

It is not clear if you are talking about elements with simple type or 
elements with complex type. If your elements have simple type then you 
can use an xs:union of the different identifier types.
If your elements have complex type then you can use an abstract type for 
them, thus you force the user to specify a non abstract type using 
xsi:type in the instance document.

Best Regards,
George
---------------------------------------------------------------------
George Cristian Bina
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com


Paul Spencer wrote:
> In the Election Markup Language, people may use a variety of identifiers
> depending on the type of election, country etc. The schema (XSD) therefore
> allows use of xsi:type in the instance so that the correct validation can be
> used for each identifier. I don't think that there is any way in XML Schema
> of forcing the use of the xsi:type attribute in the instance, so I am
> currently using Schematron rules to do this. Am I correct, or have I missed
> something obvious?
> 
> Before people point out that I am allowing the sender of the message to say
> what type of identifier they have, the Schematron (which changes for each
> scenario) also defines the allowed values for xsi:type. I would keep this,
> but it would be good if the schema itself enforced something as a hint to
> implementers to look at the spec and see what they need to do.
> 
> Regards
> 
> Paul Spencer
> 
> 
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>, an
> initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org>
> 
> The list archives are at http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the subscription
> manager: <http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/index.php>
>
Next in thread → Next in month →