Fwd: [xml-dev] Getting some nice XML-RSS feeds going...
David's response.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Lyon <[email protected]>
Date: 29-Jun-2006 00:39
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Getting some nice XML-RSS feeds going...
To: adasal <[email protected]>
Thanks Adam,
That is helpful. Yesterday I managed to get my google keywords right and
found some tutorials. Luckily I have perl and apache.
Over the next week I might try to get it going.
Best Regards
David
On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 14:51 +0100, adasal wrote:
> You need an htp server - Apache's the job - and any one of many
> languages, a scripting language would be a good choice here and Perl
> has all the options.
> You might be asking what is the simplest most direct and cheapest way
> to go about this. It seems you have a server? If not the US offer many
> cheap reliable hosted options. Anyway, you need Perl, and if you go
> for Perl you really need Linux. This pretty much applies to all the
> open source scripting solutions.
> There must be a Perl tutorial that shows how you can take say csv file
> input and output as RSS. All the client does is click on the button
> and the cgi script will serve the correct output through the Perl
> invocation. Pretty simple, really. What is more complex is when your
> input changes, but if it is slow changing, low volume, then this can
> also be handled with a file input.
> Blogs such as MoveableType (this is written in Perl) offer this
> facility built in, both to read in RSS - the reverse process of what I
> have outlined - and to output RSS where the site author selects the
> source input.
> HTH
> Adam
>
> On 27/06/06, David Lyon <[email protected] > wrote:
> Hi Masters of XML,
>
> I have been using the RSS mechanism in my browser and I like
> that
> feature.
>
> Being the tech dinosaur that I am, can anybody please tell me
> what do I
> need to build/setup my own RSS feeder (ie server) ? Apache?
> Some custom
> script?
>
> I tried some search engines but it seems to be a black-art at
> the moment
> so that's why I'm asking on this list. The application is
> sticking price
> information out by RSS. I'm thinking of doing it open-source
> if nothing
> exists and the programming language would be either Perl or
> C#.
>
> Any Suggestions? - Thanks..
>
> David
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>,
> an
> initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org >
>
> The list archives are at
> http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the
> subscription
> manager: <http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/index.php>
>
>
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Lyon <[email protected]>
Date: 29-Jun-2006 00:39
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Getting some nice XML-RSS feeds going...
To: adasal <[email protected]>
Thanks Adam,
That is helpful. Yesterday I managed to get my google keywords right and
found some tutorials. Luckily I have perl and apache.
Over the next week I might try to get it going.
Best Regards
David
On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 14:51 +0100, adasal wrote:
> You need an htp server - Apache's the job - and any one of many
> languages, a scripting language would be a good choice here and Perl
> has all the options.
> You might be asking what is the simplest most direct and cheapest way
> to go about this. It seems you have a server? If not the US offer many
> cheap reliable hosted options. Anyway, you need Perl, and if you go
> for Perl you really need Linux. This pretty much applies to all the
> open source scripting solutions.
> There must be a Perl tutorial that shows how you can take say csv file
> input and output as RSS. All the client does is click on the button
> and the cgi script will serve the correct output through the Perl
> invocation. Pretty simple, really. What is more complex is when your
> input changes, but if it is slow changing, low volume, then this can
> also be handled with a file input.
> Blogs such as MoveableType (this is written in Perl) offer this
> facility built in, both to read in RSS - the reverse process of what I
> have outlined - and to output RSS where the site author selects the
> source input.
> HTH
> Adam
>
> On 27/06/06, David Lyon <[email protected] > wrote:
> Hi Masters of XML,
>
> I have been using the RSS mechanism in my browser and I like
> that
> feature.
>
> Being the tech dinosaur that I am, can anybody please tell me
> what do I
> need to build/setup my own RSS feeder (ie server) ? Apache?
> Some custom
> script?
>
> I tried some search engines but it seems to be a black-art at
> the moment
> so that's why I'm asking on this list. The application is
> sticking price
> information out by RSS. I'm thinking of doing it open-source
> if nothing
> exists and the programming language would be either Perl or
> C#.
>
> Any Suggestions? - Thanks..
>
> David
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>,
> an
> initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org >
>
> The list archives are at
> http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the
> subscription
> manager: <http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/index.php>
>
>