Re: [xml-dev] Xlink Isn't Dead

From
Elliotte Harold <>
To
Ari Krupnik <>
Date
2006-09-22T16:33:23Z
ID
<>
Thread
Re: [xml-dev] Xlink Isn't Dead
Ari Krupnik wrote:

> Isn't that what killed the idea of XML as something you can directly
> display in a browser? That XML+CSS gave you everything HTML gave you
> except, you know, links? 

Not really. I think what killed that vision was poor browser support. 
Not that the lack of links wasn't a problem; just that we never really 
got far enough for it to become a practical issue. That may be starting 
to change.

I suspect the working group could have pulled off a really nice 80/20 
solution by simply defining an xml:href attribute and declaring victory. 
  HTML won over competing hypertext technologies in large part by making 
links much, much simpler. Sadly XML didn't really learn that lesson.

-- 
Elliotte Rusty Harold  
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!
http://www.cafeaulait.org/books/javaio2/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0596527500/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA/