RE: [xml-dev] XML schema Management

From
Michael Kay <>
To
'Fraser Goffin' <>,
Date
2006-09-08T16:45:29Z
ID
<011b01c6d366$31cf6c40$6401a8c0@turtle>
Thread
RE: [xml-dev] XML schema Management
> The problem : managing the production, versioning, 
> consistency, .... of a large number of XML schema (typically 
> for message based service interfaces) spawned from a core 
> business domain data model.

I've seen other people struggle with this problem. I haven't seen it solved,
but I've come to the conclusion that you need to put a lot of effort into
tooling, and I strongly suspect you are better off developing your own tools
in-house that are designed to your own specific requirements - though I
can't say that's based on detailed study of what the market can offer.

I have seen an analagous problem solved, of managing hundreds of stylesheets
for processing different transactions in an online banking system. This was
done by devising a common high-level description of the various screens, and
generating the stylesheets from these master definitions, thus ensuring
consistency. I believe it should be possible to do the same thing for
controlling a large set of message schemas - but I haven't seen an existence
proof.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/